Tuesday 12 February 2013

Pancake day - Fastlagsbullar - Fasching

Today is Shrove Tuesday

The time to eat tasty pancakes (if you live in the UK or USA), Fastalgsbulle (Swedish buns - if you are Swedish) or celebrate Fasching, (that’s the German carnival - if you are German)!
Thinking back when I was a child (I grew up in Sweden and Germany) I have very fond memories of this time of year. The weather was usually bland and had not much more to offer than cold temperatures and snow (if we were lucky occasional beautiful crisp sunshine though) - but this time of year was the time when I ate my Mormors Fastlagsbulle (also called Semla), a Swedish delicious bun with vanilla flavoured whipped cream!






The semla was originally eaten only on Shrove Tuesday, as the last festive food before Lent. Lent is traditionally a period of abstinence, associated with clearing your cupboards of goods such as sugar, fats and eggs, because it represents a good opportunity to use such ingredients ahead of the fasting period.
Today however, semlor are available in Swedish shops and bakeries every day from shortly after Christmas until Easter. Each Swede consumes on average five bakery-produced semlor each year, in addition to all those that are homemade so they say!

I also celebrated Fasching, which I loved as I could not think of something more fun than planning my costumes well in advance. I had different costumes for different parties. I was sewing, painting, building, altering, stitching, painting…




Fasching or Karneval as it is known in Germany derives from the words carne levare (to take away meat) and thus to another aspect of the Lenten fast. It is often celebrated with street processions and fancy dress.
People will celebrate in costume at various carnival community events and individual parties. Carnival parades abound, it is literally the weekend for people to live it up.



So today with having my own family and living in London I try to pass on those fond memories of my own childhood. My children do enjoy the traditions and they do break up those grey cold days until the actual Spring starts.
This weekend we had Semla, baked not by my Mormor (grandmother) but my mother. We celebrated Fasching in the German Saturday School and today, well today we will have pancakes!
Its fantastic not only to pass on but mix traditions to make this time more fun.

If you like to try Swedish pancakes here is what to do!


Serves: 4
4 eggs
475ml milk
60g plain flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons melted butter
In a large bowl, beat eggs with a whisk. Mix in milk, flour, sugar, salt and melted butter.
Preheat a frying pan. Pour a thin layer of batter on pan, and spread to edges. Cook until top surface appears dry. Flip with a spatula. Cook for another 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Roll each pancake up, and serve....
My Mum used to make these for us at home. Served with lingonberries, sprinkling of icing sugar or vanilla whipped cream - that is what I am going to do for mine when they come back from school today.